History of Hersonissos
Hersonissos carries on the name of the ancient city that was located where the harbor of Hersonissos is today. The village of Old Hersonissos, located on the hill was built for the inhabitants to feel more secure from the pirates that forced them to move in the inland.
Even though the city was built during the Minoan times, it experienced great wealth during the Roman and early Byzantine period. Hersonissos during the Roman period had magnificent marble fountains, sculptures, etc. Remnants of this period can be seen today in the area of Kastri. The ancient city of Hersonissos was irrigated by an aqueduct, ruins of which can be found today at Xerokamares, at the village of Potamies.
Byzantine era marks on the city are mostly on port and the port 's Akropolis (dominating hill) where a palaiochristianic basilica church is found. Venetians, Turks left their mark on the area as well. The port was called Porto Tigani and protected many middle age boats even after city was minimized to a few living houses. City faded slowly out because of Saracen and other pirates pillaging the coastal area and cities. It was profound that people sheltered high on the mountain slopes with enough time to react on reputed pirate attacks. The port was almost abandoned and changed to a small fishing village, until after the 1950's when some interest grown on its tourist hosting capabilities.