Our Local Food Systems
In an era of intensive global competition, major demographic changes and financial constraints, the association between Local food producers and the supply chain of our hotel, is considered as a business & social necessity.
Nowadays, the EU recognizes that small and medium entrepreneurs in the agro-food area, suffering the violent consequences of economic transformations which cannot control or steer.
Local Food Systems:
- Develop internationally in one of the most important models in agriculture, with significant contribution to the achievement of sustainable development, maintaining the viability of rural communities and the provision of public goods.
- Highlight the importance of short food supply chains, high production quality, safety, freshness, and taste.
- Help prevent the formation of monopolies.
- Bring together the producer with the consumer / visitor.
- Provide the necessary goodwill to promising Family agriculture, the foundation stone for the retention of young people in a living countryside.
We all know that 500 million consumers in Europe, do not absorb the maximum amount of local edible goods offered, 25 million people employed in the agricultural sector.
This unrecoverable costs to local economies in rural communities in the hospitality industry and certainly creates energy deficit in the planet.
Today, consumers / visitors are turning increasingly to quality and recognizable products with high nutritional value, produced, processed and distributed in a friendly manner towards society and the environment.
In recent years, due to a large decrease in costs of travel, more and more tourists traveling to more and more destinations. The hospitality industry has engaged in a race of internationalized services, almost identical to each other, characterized by the low prices and good service. However, this development model, gradually incorporating the risk of degeneration of the specificity of destinations.
We, at the Creta Maris Beach Resort, over the last three years have designed, approved and implemented successfully, a new product based on the specificity of our country and especially in measurable sustainable development thereof.
We have embedded the Local Food Systems in the supply chain, we brought with sincerity abstract elements from the everyday habits of the Cretan countryside and we invited our guests to experience these intangibles. We incorporated into our every single thought and in our every major decision, the clear practices of environmental protection.
The results have vindicated us. Guests are leaving promising that they will return. The project team of Creta Maris (all of us) received the joy of the responsibility of the Cretan hospitality. The hotel is embraced by the local community. The reservations increase. The profits increase.
Our Local Food Systems
In this year's annual operating use, we designed, implemented and supported the ever-evolving relationship with national & local producers and suppliers, accounting to the needs of our food chain.
- 92% Local meat, fruit,
- 96% Local wines
- 98% Local foods
- 99% Topical oils and sweets, and
- 100% Local jams, honey, beer & breads
Which means that we have contributed to the national and local economies with 1.5 million euros only from the food sector.